Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty – What’s Coming
Cyberpunk 2077 is CD Projekt Red’s dystopian narrative RPG game where you play as a merc on the job of a lifetime. Just like The Witcher before it, the game is incredibly complex and full of rich and complicated lore. Three years later, Cyberpunk 2077 is getting an expansion update that is looking to remake the game’s tone.
Phantom Liberty is a whole new spy-thriller adventure story for Cybperunk 2077. In it, you’ll head to the new lawless city of Dogtown in Night City and meet the sleeper cell agent Solomon Reed, played by Idris Elba. There you’ll embark on a high-stakes mission of espionage and intrigue to save the NUS President. You must forge alliances within a web of shattered loyalties and sinister political machinations.
On top of that the devs have announced that “nearly every system had been changed, tweaked, or redone entirely.” This could go a long way in helping the game recover from its launch days and give a reason for existing players to jump back in.
At yesterday’s Xbox Games Showcase 2023, CD Projket Red announced that Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty is set to launch on the 26th of September 2023. Before that happens here’s everything we know about the update.
Introducing Solomon Reed
Phantom Liberty is a spy thriller so expect shadowy capers and espionage for this adventure. Instead of the renegade merc you used to be you’ll now be joining the more legitimate world of government enforcement. As a secret agent, you’ll need to infiltrate high-security buildings, take out enemies and choose your allies with care. Why? To save the President.
To get started you’ll meet the gruff sleeper cell agent – Solomon Reed played by Idris Elba. He’s an experienced FIA agent who’s a veteran of covert intelligence. He knows better than anyone, how to tap into the countless web of spies and net runners. And most importantly how to ‘extract’ information from not so willing parties.
You’ll work together with Alex the braindance actress and shapeshifter, as well as Songbird a talented netrunner, who also promises V that she can remove the Soulkiller biochip from their head. High stakes all around.
Let’s Save The President
The current President of the New United States of America is the former CEO of Militech – Rosalind Myers. Currently in her third term, Myers runs the country and protects the people from the corporate oligarchs. Well, she tries to anyway. While en route to Space Force One, she crash lands in Dogtown.
If there’s any place in Night City that you don’t want to be out after dark, it’s Dogtown. Ruled by their own ruthless commander Colonel Hansen, it’s important that Myers stays out of his grip. Or the continuous power struggle could have far-reaching consequences everywhere.
Welcome to Dogtown
As lawless as Night City can be Dogtown is legitimately so. Ignored by everyone from the NCPD to the Trauma Team units, this is the place to come to if you want to buy anything off the black market – from illegal cyberware to stolen tanks. But don’t step too out of line because Dogtown is run by Colonel Hansen and his team of trigger-happy militia. He rules Dogtown with an iron fist and he’s not just a thug, his intelligence and strategic foresight make him fairly formidable.
Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty is bringing new mechanics and gameplay systems to not just the DLC but to the base game as well. What we know so far are:
- Armour is tied to your cyberware rather than clothing. This means you can wear whatever you want without worrying about your overall defence and combat effectiveness.
- Cyberware is limited until you can unlock more. If you install too much you’ll be hit with various debuffs.
- Introducing new abilities and perks for combat.
- Focus on unique class-based skills rather than percentage-based stat buffs
Police and Notoriety System
- Now, similar to GTA V, if you commit a crime, the police will investigate first. If you’re nearby, they will engage; if not, they will search the area.
- As you commit more crimes in quick succession, they will get more aggressive, and if you hit a five-star wanted level, MaxTac, a SWAT-like special forces unit in the Cyberpunk universe, will show up.
- Bosses will spawn in the world if you get your notoriety high enough.
- Police aggression is dependent on your location. They’ll be much quicker to respond in wealthier, more populated areas like Corpo Plaza.
- Introducing vehicular combat as well as weapon-mounted vehicles.
- Enemies can chase you as well by shooting out of the window and you can swing a katana off your motorcycle to get them back.
New Radio Station
- Growl FM will feature music created by members of the Cyberpunk 2077 community.
- Hosted by DJ ASH who is voiced by Sasha Grey.
Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty
Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty will launch on 26th September 2023 for the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series S/X, and PC. Unfortunately for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One the devs will be discontinuing support for the game there.